Front page

how often should i use obnam fsck/ obnam verify?

da945715c8be4a51803cf406464ae10d
SURMOUNT MOLECULE EIGHTBALL

From: Johannes Frölich <johannes.froelich@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:38:46 +0100

   Hey,
   
   i am very very new to using obnam. I decided to use it to backup a little debian server wich is only used for some vpn and owncloud stuff to a nas. Both devices are in one gbit LAN.
   One full backup is around ~1TB in size. The reason i am writing here is i cannot find any realiable information to how often i should check (obnam verify, or even obnam fsck) the repository. Is there any rule of thumb to that?
   
   I am right now running a cron job every night to backup the most important folders (some linux folders, the owncloud data folder, config folder and an sql dump) should i do the verify after each backup?
   
   Any suggestion would be nice!
   
   Thank you so much,
   
   Cheers!
From: Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:32:13 +0200

   On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:38:46AM +0100, Johannes Frölich wrote:
   > i am very very new to using obnam. I decided to use it to backup a
   > little debian server wich is only used for some vpn and owncloud
   > stuff to a nas. Both devices are in one gbit LAN. One full backup is
   > around ~1TB in size. The reason i am writing here is i cannot find
   > any realiable information to how often i should check (obnam verify,
   > or even obnam fsck) the repository. Is there any rule of thumb to
   > that?
   
   The rule of thumb is:
   
   Run obnam fsck so often that you notice any corruption in the backup
   repository before the corruption causes problems for you. Run obnam
   verify often enough that you trust your backups.
From: Johannes Frölich <johannes.froelich@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:55:32 +0100

   That does not really help^^ i mean yeah i understand what you mean, but since i never dealt with backups like that, i just have no clue why it would get corrupted in the first place! (any other reason then a unplugged lan cable or such? - does this happen in „normal“ use?).
   
   Sorry for that „stupid“ question, but i am jsut not sure!
   
   Cheers
   
   
   > Am 10.01.2017 um 11:32 schrieb Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>:
   > 
   > On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:38:46AM +0100, Johannes Frölich wrote:
   >> i am very very new to using obnam. I decided to use it to backup a
   >> little debian server wich is only used for some vpn and owncloud
   >> stuff to a nas. Both devices are in one gbit LAN. One full backup is
   >> around ~1TB in size. The reason i am writing here is i cannot find
   >> any realiable information to how often i should check (obnam verify,
   >> or even obnam fsck) the repository. Is there any rule of thumb to
   >> that?
   > 
   > The rule of thumb is:
   > 
   > Run obnam fsck so often that you notice any corruption in the backup
   > repository before the corruption causes problems for you. Run obnam
   > verify often enough that you trust your backups.
   > 
   > --
   > I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh
From: Johannes Frölich <johannes.froelich@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:07:15 +0100

   Hahahaa ok,
   got it. ;) ill do it as often as my system has nothing to do!
   
   Thank you for your help!
   
   
   ………software is written by drunk baboons…… (saved…)
   
   
   
   > Am 10.01.2017 um 16:02 schrieb Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>:
   > 
   > On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:55:32PM +0100, Johannes Frölich wrote:
   >> That does not really help^^ i  mean yeah i understand what you mean,
   >> but since i never dealt with backups  like that, i just have no clue
   >> why it  would get corrupted  in the  first place! (any  other reason
   >> then a unplugged  lan cable or such? - does  this happen in „normal“
   >> use?).
   >> 
   >> Sorry for that „stupid“ question, but i am jsut not sure!
   > 
   > Obnam backup repositories have been corrupted due to bugs in Obnam
   > itself, and in the operating system (e.g., in the filesystem
   > implementation), or in hardware (bad secors on hard disks). And
   > probably more reasons.
   > 
   > When it comes to backups, it's best to assume that all software is
   > written by drunk baboons, and all hardware (especially hard disks)
   > comes with built-in self-destruction devices that are triggered at the
   > factory before delivered to customers.
   > 
   > --
   > I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh
From: SanskritFritz <sanskritfritz@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:23:54 +0100

   Best advice ever given about software and backup :D
   Priceless!
   
   
   On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Johannes Frölich
   <johannes.froelich@gmail.com> wrote:
   > Hahahaa ok,
   > got it. ;) ill do it as often as my system has nothing to do!
   >
   > Thank you for your help!
   >
   >
   > ………software is written by drunk baboons…… (saved…)
   >
   >
   >
   >
   > Am 10.01.2017 um 16:02 schrieb Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>:
   >
   > On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:55:32PM +0100, Johannes Frölich wrote:
   >
   > That does not really help^^ i  mean yeah i understand what you mean,
   > but since i never dealt with backups  like that, i just have no clue
   > why it  would get corrupted  in the  first place! (any  other reason
   > then a unplugged  lan cable or such? - does  this happen in „normal“
   > use?).
   >
   > Sorry for that „stupid“ question, but i am jsut not sure!
   >
   >
   > Obnam backup repositories have been corrupted due to bugs in Obnam
   > itself, and in the operating system (e.g., in the filesystem
   > implementation), or in hardware (bad secors on hard disks). And
   > probably more reasons.
   >
   > When it comes to backups, it's best to assume that all software is
   > written by drunk baboons, and all hardware (especially hard disks)
   > comes with built-in self-destruction devices that are triggered at the
   > factory before delivered to customers.
   >
   > --
   > I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh
   >
   >
   >
   > _______________________________________________
   > obnam-support mailing list
   > obnam-support@obnam.org
   > http://listmaster.pepperfish.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/obnam-support-obnam.org
   >
   
   _______________________________________________
   obnam-support mailing list
   obnam-support@obnam.org
   http://listmaster.pepperfish.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/obnam-support-obnam.org
From: Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:02:52 +0200

   On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 03:55:32PM +0100, Johannes Frölich wrote:
   > That does not really help^^ i  mean yeah i understand what you mean,
   > but since i never dealt with backups  like that, i just have no clue
   > why it  would get corrupted  in the  first place! (any  other reason
   > then a unplugged  lan cable or such? - does  this happen in „normal“
   > use?).
   > 
   > Sorry for that „stupid“ question, but i am jsut not sure!
   
   Obnam backup repositories have been corrupted due to bugs in Obnam
   itself, and in the operating system (e.g., in the filesystem
   implementation), or in hardware (bad secors on hard disks). And
   probably more reasons.
   
   When it comes to backups, it's best to assume that all software is
   written by drunk baboons, and all hardware (especially hard disks)
   comes with built-in self-destruction devices that are triggered at the
   factory before delivered to customers.